Bdid Blog

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Two things

1) I saw a wheat grass juicer in the grocery store tonight. Wheat grass juicer? Have you ever felt inclined to DRINK grass? I have officially placed Boulder back in the 'liberal' category.

2) Jeanne has called me out. Here in Colorado, whenever I am asked where I used to live, I say Berkeley, CA. I love Berkeley - it's a multi-cultural town town full of character, where the small independent businesses rule. And it is where most of my friends lived. But, alas, it is not actually where I lived. I lived in Walnut Creek, 15 miles east of Berkeley and a world apart. Walnut Creek (fondly referred to as The WC or The Creek) is an affluent, white, shopping mecca, with the likes of Restoration Hardware and Tiffany's (neither of which, I can assure you, ever saw one Becky dollar). I lived in the Creek because my office was conveniently 4 miles down the road. And even though I will continue to call Berkeley my home, the WC was where I actually laid my head to rest. Ironic, in a way, because Boulder is like Berkeley meets Walnut Creek - it's liberal and independent, but its also affluent and whitey white-town. So, is it the best or the worst of both worlds? Talk amongst yourselves.

2 Comments:

At 11:45 PM, Blogger JulieBee said...

funny, I say "Berkeley" or "Oakland" depending on who it is I'm trying to gain street cred with :)

I think it's OK for you to say Berkeley, because the question is not just a factual one... people ask it so that they can put you in a box, in some ways, and if that helps determine which box you get put in, then so be it.

 
At 8:01 AM, Blogger Becky said...

Berkeley, of course, Paul! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home