Bdid Blog

Friday, June 30, 2006

Old Friends


This whole month has been a wonderful trip down memory lane. Two good friends from California visited me over the past few weekends, and just this week an old college friend stayed with me on her way through town. I hadn't seen her in 6 years.

While I continue to feel more and more settled here in Boulder, I am amazed at how much more at peace I feel when surrounded by these old friends. Whether we're hiking through the snowy Rocky Mtns, waking up at 4am for a triathlon, enjoying waffles on my back porch, or just lounging on the couch talking, there is something more complete about my life when I spend it with someone who really knows me. Its as though their very presence makes me more "me" than I am without them. I wonder if they feel the same way, and I wonder what it is that makes that happen. Is it just shared experiences? Is it a similar way of thinking? Similar interests? Or a serendipitous combination of all of the above? I suppose that is a small glimpse of what marriage is like. I could be into that.

In a few minutes, I'm heading to the airport to visit my old Berkeley small group in Boston for the fourth of July. Yay! More fun friend time.

1 Comments:

At 12:36 AM, Blogger JulieBee said...

yes, I feel the same way... the waffles and the couch time made me feel like I knew myself again for the first time in a year. Unfortunately, I don't know if marriage even is like that. At the risk of sounding insanely cheesing and making myself want to hurl, there's something about girlfriends (especially mountain climbing ones) that you can't find anywhere else, and that takes a number of mountains (or triathlons) to develop.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home