Bdid Blog

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Bad Timing

The weather report was on the radio this morning as my alarm went off. It was minus six degrees outside. Whew, another chilly one! I took a long hot shower, enjoyed a steaming bowl of oatmeal, and decided that I ought to dig out a hat to wear on my way into work, as I'm still getting over a cold.

I had to scrape ice off my windshield and wait several minutes for the defroster to kick in as condensate from my breath was freezing to the inside of the windshield, making it impossible to see. Finally, I was on my way.

About half-way between home and work, I start to notice that my car is rattling in a most worrying fashion. Before I know it, my front tire completely blows, and I slow to the shoulder as the sidewalls give out and the tire bounces into the snow, steam furiously rising from it.

Thanks to this whole incident, I have learned a few lessons:

1) Don't count on AAA (after being on hold for 10 minutes, they promise me they'll be there in an hour and a half).
2) The feminist movement has really worked. Not a soul stopped to help the young girl changing a tire all by herself on the side of the road.
3) It's amazing how quickly a person can change a tire when working fast is the only way to keep from going completely numb.
4) Hats are invaluable.

And finally, I am thankful for cell phones and fatherly figures from work who will come and tighten the lug nuts for you. ;)

1 Comments:

At 10:15 AM, Blogger JulieBee said...

oh Becky, I'm so sorry that happened but I'm glad you're safe! It scares me that no one stopped to help...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home